All summer long all I’ve been craving is one thing… nicecream. Also known as nana-icecream
It is creamy
and so satisfying
It’s funny how we’ve demonized bananas. People are actually afraid to eat them! “They have too much sugar, too many carbs” Where did this fear come from? Have you ever heard of anyone getting fat from eating bananas?
Bananas are carbs that fuel your body. They are 76% water and packed with nutrients! They contain Vitamins such as B6 & C, minerals such as potassium, manganese, copper and a great electrolyte source. Bottom line: bananas are not the enemy. They are extremely delicious, especially in this creamy banana ice-cream
All you need are ripe frozen bananas (freeze when spotty and dark), with the option to add additional frozen fruit. You could mix in protein powders or superfoods as well; the banana flavor does a great job of covering up harsh flavors in green powders, such as spirulina.
The key to making getting the perfect texture, is using a high speed blender or food processor and using as little liquid as possible, if any. I switch between using my Vitamix and my food processor; both work great! If I want a larger portion, I use my Vitamix; smaller, food processor.
As a base, you want the majority to be banana so you achieve that creamy texture (I would say at least 2 bananas) but the rest you could sub another frozen fruit. Berries, mango, peaches, cherries, you can’t go wrong! I like to add in cacao powder when I’m feeling chocolate, or some vanilla protein after a workout!
Believe it or not, with a little added protein, it is the perfect post workout meal — which happens to taste like dessert!
- 3 frozen spotty bananas
- Liquid of choice (any nut milk or coconut water works great)
- Additional fruit, optional
- Superfood powders, optional
- Protein Powder, optional
- * See below for suggested flavor combinations
- Step 1 In a high speed blender or food processor, add frozen fruit and turn blender or food processor on slow
- Step 2 While it’s churning, add a splash of liquid (not too much)
- Step 3 if using a Vitamix, use the wand. If using Food Processor, may have to start and stop to scrape down sides
- Step 4 Slowly increase the speed, until well blended
- Step 5 May have to scrape down the sides a few times
- Step 6 be patient!
- Step 7 Once you achieve the desired consistency, serve immediately or place in freezer to achieve an “icecream” like texture!